Daily life for D.P. has been quite stressful lately. Last Monday morning, he received a phone call from his dad saying D.P.’s mom had gone to the hospital. Over the past week, she was poked and prodded until they figured out why she was sick. Apparently, she had a mass on her lower intestine that needed to be removed and, now that’s been done, D.P.’s family waits to hear what the results of the biopsy are. I can’t really describe the torture that this situation has been for the family. D.P.’s mother is the strong one, the rock of the family – to see her this way has been (to say the least) unsettling. She has had some really bad days during the past week, but things are looking up.

Of course, it’s been one hit after the other over the past month or so. D.P.’s Grammy was hospitalized, his sister had a mysterious lump (negative biopsy, by the way), and now his mom has been in the hospital for a week. On top of it all, he has been having his own health ‘issue’ that he FINALLY went in and had checked last Friday. Nothing crazy-serious, but he was very nervous (everything is fine).

On Saturday, I went to his place so we could go to a semi-late Chinese lunch. [I was offered dessert before the meal, and I accepted, of course.] After lunch, we went shopping to find him some work boots. No luck locating what he wanted, so we stopped by the gas station and then back home. When he left to go pick up his kids at his ex’s house (they were off to see his mom), I putzed around on the north end of town before I had to go babysit my niece and nephew. I didn’t have much time, so I stopped by Borders to look at greeting cards. I ended up finding an Austin Powers movie, which was exciting to me because D.P. and I had been trying for the past month to locate any of the three AP movies without having to pay a hefty price buying them at a store like Borders or Barnes and Noble. Fortunately, the movie’s price wasn’t horrendous, so I bought it.

When I went back to D.P.’s house later that night, he was subdued and so I made him talk to get it all out. He expressed his distress about his mom, and how she wasn’t doing very well. He said he was tired, and I told him we could just go to bed if he wanted to… he insisted we watch the movie, which we did, for about an hour. At one point, he said he was tired, and I reminded him that we could go to bed at any time. He said that was a good idea, and did I mind? “Nope, let’s go!” I said. He barely made it to the bed, he was so tired. Even with me there next to him, he woke up at least once during the middle of the night, and I woke up at least once or twice myself. I was just as worried about his mom as he was. His plan for yesterday morning was to pick up his daughter and head out to the hospital at about noon.

While eating breakfast at D.P.’s house yesterday, I smiled mischievously. He asked me what was going on. I told him to give me a high five, and he did. I said, “Congratulations, you’ve made it three months as of today, and you’re not dead. More importantly, I’m not dead either.” LOL Of course, he thought I was being quite humorous and smiled mischievously back at me. 🙂

I helped him clean his house a bit (man, was he resistant! I can do it myself, you don’t need to, I’m very independent, yada yada yada!) and then I drove home and he headed over to see his mom. When I got home, I realized I had forgotten my tennis shoes, so I called and asked him whether he wanted me to get them last night, or tonight. Not too long later, he returned my call and said I better go last night because he was going to be doing too much tonight. I agreed, and found a sitter (aka my brother Justin) so I could make D.P. dinner while I was there.

D.P. loved the sweet and sour meatballs I made, and said I was spoiling him. I joked and said, “That’s my plan!” We smiled at each other. He teased me a little, and I said, “Well, haven’t you heard the phrase, ‘The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach’ ?” He said he had, and smiled. Hehe. After dinner, he scooped out some ice cream and we made sundaes. When we were done with dessert, we decided to go for a walk around the lake. Fine idea. I always like taking a walk with him. He said we need to find me a bike, so we can ride around the lake instead. I told him that was cool, just no boy-bar. LOL He said, “You’ll have to wear a helmet.” I told him that was okay, ’cause I’m a tar-tar when it comes to riding bikes. They’re sorta intimidating to me, which is why I haven’t ridden a bike in probably 15 (or more) years.

Not too long after, I had to go pick up the kids so, when we got back home, I gathered my stuff and headed out the door. I kissed him like crazy and we talked briefly about how it probably wouldn’t be until Saturday that we’d see each other again. I was sad, but it’s not like I won’t be talking to him two or three times a day anyway… knowing that made it a little easier. 🙂

In short, all I can say at this point in our relationship is that he is making leaps and bounds to moving on with his life… and I’m happy for him.